Abondances and genotypic characteristics of gram-negative bacteria in the environment - Ain River floodplain - 2019-2020 (2021)
Data collector : Daniel Martak  , Alexandre Meunier  , Salomé Genet  , Emilia Chiapponi  , Vanessa Stefani  
 : Laboratoire Chrono-environnement (UMR 6249) (Université de Franche-Comté)
 : Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers - Terre, Homme, Environnement, Temps, Astronomie (UAR 3245) (Université de Franche-Comté)
34 sites (16 wetland sites, 15 river sites, and 3 groundwaters) distributed along the Ain River with different physicochemical characteristics were sampled. The abundances of some gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing E. coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa) were determined. Strains of E. coli and ESBL-producing E. coli were genotypically characterized (phylogroups, plasmid incompatibility groups, resistance gene (blaESBL)).
Data acquisition date : from Mar 2019 to Feb 2020
Data acquisition methods :
- Observational data : Samples of water (250 ml) were collected in sterile conditions and stored at 4°C before analysis, which occurred within 8 h of collection. The total concentrations of E. coli, K. pneumoniae and
P. aeruginosa were measured as previously described (Slekovec et al. 2012; Bréchet et al. 2014). Aliquots of water (100 ml) were filtered through 0.45-μm membranes, which were then placed onto a Drigalski agar plate to measure the total E. coli and K. pneumoniae concentrations (Oxoid), a Cetrimide agar plate to measure the P. aeruginosa concentration (Bio-Rad) and a chromID ESBL agar plate to measure the concentration of ESBL-producing E. coli, and ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae, which are resistant to β-lactam antibiotics. When we suspected high bacterial concentrations, we plated 500 μl an additional of sample on the selective media. The plates were incubated for 24 h at 37°C. Colonies were counted and classified according to their phenotype. Each type of colony was identified using a MALDITOF MS spectrometer (Microflex, Bruker Daltonics, Bremen, Germany) according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. For each morphotype of E. coli and K. pneumoniae growing on chromID ESBL, the production of ESBL was detected using a synergy test following the recommendations of the Antibiogram Committee of the French Society for Microbiology (CA-SFM, http://www.sfm-microbiologie.org/, last consultation: 10 November 2018).
Formats : application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet, text/csv
Audience : University: licence, University: master, Research
Spatial coverage :
- lower floodplain of the Ain River: latitude between 46° 3' 15" N and 45° 56' 6" N, longitude between 5° 14' 12" E and 5° 22' 24" E
Time coverage :
- Déterminismes environnementaux de la diffusion et de la survie des bacilles à Gram négatif commensaux et pathogènes dans les hydrosystèmes (hal:tel-03643429)
Publisher : Laboratoire Chrono-environnement (UMR 6249)
Label : Plateforme UBFC
Projects and funders :
- Thèse de doctorat en microbiologie environnementale - Charles Henriot
- Contrat doctoral Ministère de l'Enseignement Supérieur, de la Recherche et de l'Innovation (MESRI) (Ministry)
- Fonctionnement des zones humides et risque sanitaire dans le contexte du changement global
- Structuring Initiative Continental and Coastal Ecosphere program (EC2CO) - INSU (CNRS)
- HYDROPATH - Fonctionnement des hydrosystèmes et risque pathogène
- Osez l'interdisciplinarité ! - INEE (CNRS)
Additional information :
Data acquired during Charles Henriot's PhD work, supervised by Pr. Didier Hocquet (University Professor - Hospital practitioner at the Chrono-environment laboratory) and Dr. Gudrun Bornette (Researcher in ecology at the Chrono-environment laboratory)
Record created 22 Oct 2021 by Charles Henriot.
Last modification : 7 Apr 2023.
Local identifier: FR-18008901306731-2021-10-22.