Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities (2015)
Data collector : Antoine Patt  
 : Institut UTINAM (UMR 6213) (Université de Franche-Comté)
 : Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers - Terre, Homme, Environnement, Temps, Astronomie (UAR 3245) (Université de Franche-Comté)
 : Laboratoire de Physique Théorique (UMR 5152)
We obtained the ranking of the most influential universities in Wikipedia. We analyzed networks of articles associated to 24 language editions of Wikipedia to compute the ranking of world universities using PageRank, CheiRank and 2DRank algorithms. The Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities (WRWU) is obtained considering Markov processes on the articles network consequently treating on equal footing all universities. Besides taking into account academic excellence, WRWU takes also into account every historical, cultural, and social point of views inherently encoded in the different Wikipedia language editions. Wikipedia language editions have been obtained in February 2013. A comparison of WRWU with the 2013 Academic Ranking of World University (ARWU) provided by Jing Tao university of Shanghai gives an overlap between the two rankings of 90% (60%) for top 10 (top 100) universities.
Data acquisition date : Feb 2013
Data acquisition methods :
- Derived or compiled data : Web crawling of Wikipedia editions (2015) to retrieve information about universities (year of foundation, location, ...).
- Simulation or computational data : PageRank, CheiRank and 2DRank algorithms have been used to rank articles within each of the 24 Wikipedia language editions (February 2013).
Language : English (eng)
Formats : application/pdf, text/csv, text/html, text/xml
Audience : General, Research
Spatial coverage :
- Monde: latitude between 85° N and 85° S, longitude between 180° W and 180° E
Time coverage :
- Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities (doi:10.1140/epjb/e2016-60922-0)
Publisher : Institut UTINAM (UMR 6213)
Project and funder :
- Mission pour l’interdisciplinarité / Défi MASTODONS (CNRS)
Record created 2 Feb 2016 by José Lages.
Last modification : 18 Mar 2019.
Local identifier: FR-18008901306731-2016-02-02.